Saturday, January 7, 2012

How to Pack

What I am bringing for my trip across Asia.  My approach, "less is more".

So how did I get here.  Well here are my guidelines for packing:

  1. Make a list
  2. Cut the list in half
  3. Use packing containers
Pretty simple huh?

Make a list

To make a list, you have to know where you are going and what you are going to do.  I did not know where I was going (still don't) and did not know what I am going to do (this also).So, I wrote down whatever I could think of.
What you have here, is a table of countries, with the average temperature and rainfall for each month.  To help me think about where I should go in which order, I created a little map at the bottom.  Based on this, I came to two conclusions: 1) I don't have to worry about rain 2) I can survive off t-shirts

With those nuggets of information, I put together a list of stuff.  I kept in mind that I would be a nomad for 3.5 weeks before landing at my apartment in Hong Kong.  This means travel light (carry-on able) but not too light (I do not want to do laundry every 2 days).  After making my list, I started packing and soon realized my list was too long...

Cut the list in half

Cutting a list in half when you were already trying to pack only essentials is not ez.  You have to look at each item and be like, "Do I really need this?".  Sounds like something we should ask ourselves when we are at the mall looking at a bowl that keeps our cereal crunchy.
Anyway, I realized that I didn't really need the cereal bowl or my pink dress shirt and was able to cut a significant amount of *stuff*.  I still am probably bringing way too much, but it fits and I'm not going through the packing thing again. =)

Also, try to bring things that have multiple uses.  For example, my sleeping mask is also my protector for my sister's dslr that I am bringing.


Use packing containers

Why? Because it makes your life ez-pz.  I used 4 containers, one for shorts and extra t-shirts, one for t-shirts and boxers, one for meds and toiletries and the last one for shirts and 1 pair of nice pants.  

With these I can unpack backpacks in 10 seconds AND I know where everything is at all times.  I do not have to go searching for it.

A good thing about that blue folder container thing is that my shirts won't wrinkle AND it taught me how to fold my clothes! Amazing!

Finally, it helps if the bag itself helps organize and compartmentalize.  The Deuter bag I'm using has the ability to split (more so, 1/5) the main compartment.  (Imagine having a dresser with a giant drawer vs. a dresser with a big drawer and a smaller drawer)

So I guess I'm all packed and ready to go.. except that I didn't book my hotels yet...

Appendix:
What I packed:
9 t-shirts (4 white, 2 navy, 2 grey, 1 black)
1 polo (black)
4 boxers (these are from the company that says you only need 2 to travel the world, I opted for 4)
2 casual long sleeve shirts (multicolor)
5 pairs of socks (3 white, 2 black)
1 pair of running shorts
1 pair convertible pants (the ones that zipper off to shorts)
1 dress shirt (black with stripes)
1 dress pant (grey, in case I need to dress up for class)
2 swimming trunks (1 black, 1 multicolored)
4 shorts (3 patterned, 1 khaki)
1 viscose towel (takes up limited space, for use when I don't trust or have other towels)
1 pair running shoes
1 pair casual shoes
1 pair of havianas
bunch of ALOKSAK Water / Sand Proof Dry Bags (too keeps stuff dry)
2 battery chargers
1 watch
1 laptop
1 dslr (w/ 2 lenses)
1 portable waterproof camera
2 Universal World Wide Travel Charger Adapter
1 personal safe
1 Travel Laundry Clothesline - Flexoline
1 Lewis N. Clark Laundry Kit
1 Cables to Go 1.5 ft 1 to 4 Power Cord Splitter
1 flash light
1 whistle
1 gaffer tape
2 bandanas (1 white, 1 navy)
1 carabiner
Misc Toiletries
Misc paperwork

What I packed them in:
eBags Packing Cubes - 3pc Set
Eagle Creek Travel Gear Pack-It Folder
Futura Pro 42

Yea.. wayyyyy too much stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment