Friday, January 13, 2012

Lumphini Park

So.  I woke up at 6am.  I woke up at 6am so I could go for a run.

Another reason I booked my hotel is that it is  half a block from Lumphini Park.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  I figured if I went there early enough, I could avoid the crowds and get some nice running in.

Surprise #1: It was warm.. and humid... I thought this was supposed to be the best time to visit Thailand.  I don't want to know what it is like during the summer.

Surprise #2: It is impossible to cross the street.  Even the local thai seemed deathly afraid trying to get from one side to the other.  Thankfully, I only had to cross one street.

Surprise #3: Lumphini Park was packed.  It was 6:30 when I finally got there (I think I spent 10 mins trying to cross the road) and there were groups of people dancing, tai-chi, yoga, walking, jogging, eating, stretching.  The ages ranged from 25 to old.  It was pretty inspiring to see so many people about so early.  I took some pictures and started my run.  The sun came up around 6:40 and it provided some light for some better pictures.

People dancing.  This was hilarious.

People getting ready to work it!

Lumphini Park just before the sun came up.

There were many group spread throughout the park.  They all seemed to coordinate their outfits.  I'm not sure what drives the color choice of these groups.  I know each person has a color depending on the day that they were born.  For example, Monday is yellow.  Maybe it has something to do with that...

Waiting for someone to use them

Peaceful-ish... there are cars right to the right of the picture

Sculptures are dispersed throughout the park

Funny =)
 I thought it was Kirby when I first saw it.

Me trying to be a photographer.. Meh

They looked so peaceful and purposeful

One of many bridges

Woman stretching with herself

Old friends gathered for a early breakfast

"Sit on me"

Monks

This was something.  They had an outdoor gym in the park.

I'm sure this is a favorite when the sun is beating down

Like many other SE Asian countries, these are everywhere

Statue at the corner of the park closest to my hotel

I ended up running about 2.3 miles and walking another 2.  Not sure how this would work during the hotter months but I'm glad I came when I did.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the Kirby comment. It made me LOL in my office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, it seems that people in Asian countries are always such early risers, like their day begins so much earlier than in the States...when I go back to China the streets are always packed by 6 am...maybe thats why their economy is doing so much better than here! less lazy = more work done haha

    ReplyDelete